Sunday, December 21, 2008

Power Hungry Christmas

This blog was inspired by Stickybeak.

* * * * *

I'm hosting Christmas dinner this year. Feeding 14. My family, what few there are, won't be in attendance, but M's family will, along with a few single friends we each have.

I know Christmas is four days away, but I set the table today: polished the silver, washed the china, decorated the table with poppers and hats and confetti, figured out who gets which plates and glasses, since I don't have a set of 14 of anything.

I decided to assign seats, so I set out working on the seating chart this afternoon and then made fancy place cards to make it official.

I felt quite devilish,using my power to put people wherever and next to whomever I pleased. My goal in dictating who sits where is twofold: first, to subtly punish R for his drunken and appalling behavior out at dinner the other nigh (I've put him so close to the "children's table" that he might as well be sitting at it) and, second, to keep him as far as possible from booze and lively conversation--easily accomplished by putting him between his wife and his 11-year-old daughter.

Very satisfying, indeed.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh I like it!
    And the girls (mum and daughter) will love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh. sounds like a dinner party i would want to attend. Put me in a good spot!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete