Monday, December 22, 2008

Mentor A Child...

... it gives you a chance to act like one.

Even President Elect Obama is beating the mentoring drum: New York Times.

I began volunteering about six years ago in my search for a sense of purpose.

I became a mentor in September '08.

What do I know about children? Not much, really, except that I was one. For those of you who know me, children have never been part of my world. Honestly, they make me a little uncomfortable. Or at least they used to. Being around M has helped: he's great with kids.

But I wanted to work with the living, because I'd just spent 18 months volunteering for someone who was dying, and I needed a change.

So I found a program here in town, and they set me up with a 12-year-old, sixth-grade girl.

Last week, I took her into the City to see "A Christmas Carol." For me the ride down and back was the best part, because for the first time in all our meetings, she really opened up. For an hour each way, we listened to the music she brought and she talked. And talked. And talked. My god! the pressures she is facing are enormous.

What do I know about children? I don't know if it really matters. I know about showing up when I say I'm going to, about following up on something I've suggested, about listening carefully and asking questions rather than being dismissive. Being with her helps me remember what I was like at her age and how adrift I really was.

I know what was missing in my life, in so many of my friend's lives: strong adult role models and/or good parents.

Will I be perfect? No. Will my judgment always be the best? I sure hope so but probably not. But I know I have a couple of hours a week to give to her, and I know I can be a good example.

Can't recommend mentoring enough. Pass it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment