Saturday, January 24, 2009

First Fire

Had my first fire as a boss the night before last. We were third due on the first alarm (it went to a second) and stretched a backup line to the seat of the fire. Very exciting for me. Need to work on keeping better track of my crew. That's my responsibility now and easily overlooked at a fast-moving, rapidly changing fire scene--not to mention it's so dark and smoky you can hardly recognize anyone around you. Still, no one was hurt (including civilians) and I came away from it feeling good about a job well done.

* * * * *
Haven't been posting much, because, honestly, it is very difficult to edit one's life for public viewing.

* * * * *
Puck. I've never had such a sickly little dog in my life. $800 in vet bills so far this month... $200+ last month, $200+ the month before, etc., etc., not to mention all the money we've spent on beds, toys, treats, clothing (yes, clothing) for the little monster.

He's awfully f*cking cute though. I mean really, really cute. It's a good thing, because that's about all I have to recommend of him. Willful, defiant, sickly little .... We love him though. He's pretty damn cute.

Excuse the expletives, but that's how I feel about him.

* * * * *
Bid for and made my first choice of firehouse spots. Come Spring, I will be lieutenant at a fire station in the Western Addition, a somewhat rough part of town. I went through this station as a probie and loved it. It's a house that tends to attract hard-working, salty, funny people. I'm looking forward to it.

* * * * *
Life is good. I am thankful for my life and all that I have: love, good friends, a great job, good health, Puck. I am content.

1 comment:

  1. Good work! I congratulate, salute (as a civilian) and bless you! Well done.
    As for Puck. Well, stinkers will be stinkers. I know. I have two but cuteness most definitely counts for A LOT. Damn lucky.

    ReplyDelete