Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas Dinner was Disgusting


... but a festively appointed place setting appeases the guest.

Of course, none of the guests said so, but I'm sure they were just being gracious.

Beef wellington--soggy, pasty, bland.
Green beans--greasy.
Potatoes--bland, underdone.

Every time I open the refrigerator, a pungent odor of shallots makes me close the door again, my appetite spoiled. The scent of meat, grease, bacon clings in the air.

You truly are what you eat, and I just don't eat that way at home.

M and I laughed about it over the phone last night, and then I took an oath to destroy all remnants of Christmas Dinner. I feel bad for wasting food, but you might not understand how disgusting and distasteful the leftovers are.

Today I will return to sanity and make up a big batch of my fantastic very vegetable chicken soup. You should get the recipe from me: it's quick, easy, chock full of good veggies such as chard or other greens, Brussels Spouts, leeks, etc., and tastes delicious every time. Only takes about 20 minutes to make.

* * * * *
A word on haggis. I know what you're saying, I don't want a big dollop of it on my plate either. However, this batch was wonderfully spiced and served in little filo triangles. It was amazing. Besides, when in Rome....

By the way, in Scotland I went to a whiskey tasting. It was held in a whiskey shop--not as a special event, mind you, but as part of their regular business. All the whiskeys were out on a table--free to the taster. It was very peaty stuff and reminded me of licking a dirty ashtray (not that I would know, of course). Joy. And the taste lingers on the tongue for hours.

* * * * *

Here's Puck. He's gone awfully quiet in the house, so I'll withdraw to find out what he's into.

* * * * *
Almost forgot. Assigned seats went great. R noticed it right off the bat, saying loudly to the room, "Don't just sit anywhere you want, you know, there's a specific place for everyone."

Then, at dinner, I apologized to M's 28-year-old son for having to put him at the kids' table, seeing that he's hardly a child anymore, and R chimed in "Well, I may as well be at the kids' table."

I simply smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment